PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

• 1.  Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-05-2021 10:28
    Edited by Jenna Brashear 10-06-2021 16:14
    The PRISM process provides a framework for aligning your investment decisions with your goals. In this interactive course, we'll help you create your own, personalized wealth-building process. Find out more about the PRISM academy and how it can make you a better manager of your own assets. 

Introduce Yourself to the Community
    Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy. Please introduce yourself to the Community and share what challenges you have experienced while managing your assets and portfolio. Is there something impeding your investment goals? Let us know by leaving a response to this discussion.

Click the grey button on the right side of this post that says, "Reply" to get started.

------------------------------
    Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 2.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-12-2021 14:53

DAVID FISHER

• 3.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-15-2021 10:51
    Hi, I'm Kevin Balog.  I'm a Chicago boy who needed to move to Indianapolis 25 years ago.  Our daughter still lives on the North Side of Chicago and works at the Headquarters of the Alzheimer's Association on Michigan Ave.

I've been an avid investor for almost 40 years.  I'm a life-long learner, so I look forward to those idea nuggets that I can take away from this exercise to apply to my investment disciplines.

KEVIN BALOG

• 4.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-07-2023 07:13

JOHN CONATON

• 5.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-25-2023 22:16

Hi my name is linzie earl myers. I am new at investing and learning step by step, hope i can start investing soon

Linzie Myers

• 6.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-12-2023 10:16

Hi Linzie!

Welcome to the AAII PRISM Academy! Here is a direct link to Lesson 2 so you can get started! Have questions along the way? Feel free to comment on any discussion thread and I will be happy to help.

Happy learning, Linzie!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 7.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-11-2023 12:49

Hey all,

Finally found some time to do the PRISM class!

TODD JUSTMAN

• 8.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-12-2023 10:15

Hi Todd,

Welcome! That is fantastic to hear. Here is Lesson 2 so you can get started! All of the downloadable resources are located in the Community library. If you need help, feel free to send me a question on any discussion thread and I can assist.

Happy learning, Todd!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 9.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-13-2021 12:24
    Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I want to welcome everyone to the PRISM Wealth-Building Academy as well as the AAII Community. We are happy to have you with us on this exciting financial journey. We noticed many of you have begun commenting on Lesson 1 and we want to thank you for participating. We encourage our members to engage with discussion threads and ask questions along the way. 

If you'd like to briefly introduce yourself to the AAII Community on this thread, please do so. You can reply to this message, on the right-hand side of the screen. As for introductions, I will go first. My name is Jenna Brashear and I am a financial writer and an AAII Community Manager. I enjoy hiking in the local forest preserves, cooking up new recipes, and tending to my numerous plants. My favorite investment podcasts/Youtube shows are NPR's Planet Money and AAII's Individual Investor Show.

Feel free to privately message me with your questions about creating a post, editing a discussion, or managing your email notifications. We are here to help! 

As a reminder, we will be hosting a free, LIVE webinar tonight (Wednesday, 10.13.21) from 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm CDT. We will be discussing the PRISM Academy and AAII Community. If you'd like to attend, please click this link to register.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 10.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy
    Best Answer

Posted 10-13-2021 12:45

Hi everyone! I'm Anine Sus, the assistant editor at AAII. If you're new to investing or know someone who is, I recently started a new blog called My Investing Discoveries. I started this blog to document my experiences as I begin investing so that others can follow and begin their investing journeys along with me! I'll be using AAII's tools and investing education as my guide, and participating in the PRISM Wealth-Building Process to get my finances in order and figure out how to invest in better natural energy sources so that there's still a planet around for millennials, Gen Z and the generations to come.

ANINE SUS

• 11.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-15-2021 10:54
    Thank you Anine.  I will be checking in on your insights and questions for those of us who see a changing energy landscape for the future.

KEVIN BALOG

• 12.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-13-2021 17:43
    Look forward to logging in and learning. Thanks HHH

H HELM

• 13.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 02-20-2022 12:28
    Hi! I'm Steve... I grew up in the Chicago area and now call Omaha, NE home. My grandmother introduced me to the stock market by purchasing for me stock in ServiceMaster for many of my birthdays and for holiday gifts. About 15 years ago I started to get serious about investing and have invested a lot of time in learning about how to invest. However, I find it difficult to find the time I need to really manage my investments. I'm looking forward to this learning experience to formulate a plan for the next stage of my life... I hope to retire by the end of this year!

STEVE KRUEGER

• 14.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-13-2021 19:07
    Hi - I'm looking forward to being part of this AAII program.

GARY STICH

• 15.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-14-2021 10:05
    That's wonderful to hear Gary, we are happy you've joined the AAII Community!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 16.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-13-2021 21:55
    Hi 

My name is Michael and I am a complete novice in investing though I have some investments but eager to learn.

Michael Ozegbe

• 17.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-14-2021 10:07
    Hi Michael, that's great that you're eager to start learning about how to evaluate and optimize your investment portfolio! The AAII team is excited to help shed some light on this exciting journey.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 18.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-13-2021 22:02
    I'm slow and late getting started but better late than never.

LINDA SICONOLFI-BAEZ

• 19.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-14-2021 10:08
    Hi Linda! Never too late to start, we are happy to have you. Thank you for joining the AAII Community.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 20.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-16-2021 15:44
    Q: Is this the first of many videos?  How many videos are there ... ?

Dilbert
    CA

• 21.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-19-2021 16:39
    Hi Harry S. and Christopher D.,

Welcome to the PRISM Academy! We are happy to have you both. To answer your question, Harry, yes, this is the first of many videos to come! So far, we have our Welcome to the PRISM Process video, as well as Lessons 1-3. Lesson 4 will be debuting on Thursday, October 21, 2021, so please complete the previous lessons to prepare. 

To answer your post, Christopher, that's excellent that you've been involved in similar programs! That means you will have some great building blocks to start with. Last week with Lessons 1-3, we focused on the goal-setting process. However, we have new courses coming out every week, with different focuses. This unique course will help AAII members organize and execute their investment goals. Additionally, we will have countless exercises, worksheets, discussions, and interactive activities to jump-start your investment goals for 2022.

I hope this helps! Have a wonderful Tuesday afternoon. Thank you for engaging within the AAII Community!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 22.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-19-2021 15:43
    I have been involved with similar sounding programs in the past, but I'm curious to see if there are some new ideas here.

CHRISTOPHER DANIEL

• 23.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-19-2021 23:55
    I would like to use a 'screen name' instead of my real name.  This is a security and online safety issue.

Dilbert
    CA

• 24.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10-21-2021 16:11

In retirement, goals are to gift out inheritance to heirs with max efficiency and min taxes. 
    Assets are in IRAs and cash.
    Doing 20%+/_ in the IRAs 0% in cash.
    Cash reserves will last 6-8 years.
    Self managing everything.
    Should I hedge with inverse funds?
    HOWARD 

I would like to use a 'screen name' instead of my real name.  This is a security and online safety issue. ------------------------------ Dilbert...

Post New Message
    Learn more by visiting our Education Hub
    Re: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Oct 19, 2021 11:55 PM
    HARRY SHAINIAN
    I would like to use a 'screen name' instead of my real name.  This is a security and online safety issue.

Dilbert
    CA
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward  
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-19-2021 15:43
    Subject: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

I have been involved with similar sounding programs in the past, but I'm curious to see if there are some new ideas here.

CHRISTOPHER DANIEL

You are subscribed to "PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals" as hfostercfi@yahoo.com. To change your subscriptions, go to My Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to Unsubscribe.

• 25.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 11-24-2021 11:09
    I  am interested in learing about investing in a more correct manner. I am 84 years old trying to keep mental active. At this time I have 10 stocks
    and 3 mutual funds. All are doing quite well. I have selected them to be diversified.

HERBERT STEPHENSON

• 26.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-01-2021 10:05
    Welcome to the PRISM Academy Herbert!

Thank you for sharing, that's great you've selected them to be diversified. In the following lessons, you will see if there are any goals you'll still need to plan for such as (charitable donations, legacy to kids/grandchildren, long-term care, travel, health care, and other responsibilities) that you will nee to account for as well as how much risk tolerance you are able to withstand.

Please continue to Step 1: Lesson 1 to start your first course: y=66ef624b-0f56-46f0-b071-0db4b3af6cdf&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=/communities/community-home/digestviewer?communitykey=66ef624b-0f56-46f0-b071-0db4b3af6cdf&tab=digestviewer

Thanks again Herbert!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 27.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-03-2021 14:05
    Hello, my name is Shanthi, I live in Houston.  I was introduced to AAII by a dear friend of mine when I mentioned that I would like to learn how to invest and manage my finances better.  I am so glad I joined and to be a part of this community.  Looking forward to learning a lot.

Shanthi Nadesalingam

• 28.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-10-2021 11:32
    It is year end and I am retired 10 years moving from the South to California. Big change and now am nearly recovered from sticker shiock. Great place with diversity and no humidity. Now am no longer self employed and depend on fixed income instead of Commissions. Regret Not saving more. Want to grow account I manage to fund 6 grandchildren's education and to leave something to oth4 4 children them if I die . Right now I will trurn  soon 78 and have other investments managed by professionals. I have one account with discretion and control. Hope to learn enough to manage it for longterm growth. Spouse is 11 months younger than me. She claims not to be interesetd, but follows closely and is informed.  My Account is now in mid 6 figure range and I make $2,000 a year to their education accounts. They range in age from 6 to 16.Each has a separate account. Dividends will  fund my contribution. as they have birthdays;  Other income funds our living expenses. Harold

H HELM

• 29.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-11-2021 11:15

• 30.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-13-2021 15:07

Lesson 2 short term vs long term risk
    I have discovered that I did not allocate enough funds for my short term goals. I invested in BSV for my short term needs. I needed more than that amount. In addition that ETF has gone down and the funds invested there are worth more than the current value. If I take money out I would have a capital gains loss. In addition I have my dividends automatically reinvested. So my cost of ownership is going down as partial shares are bought.
    So I decided to review other holdings and select those and close out my position in them. We haven't discussed how to select stocks to sell yet. I try to follow Wayne. Derrick, and Charles in their commentary to understand their rational in the model portfolios of each person.
    I also look at the stocks in each sector and consider selecting those as possibilities.
    I have A+ membership so I can use the AAII ratings to help me decide. 

I don't want to lose money. But if a holding goes down more than 20% I seriously consider selling. If I can sell good positive stocks too then when I do my taxes my losses are not as great.
    Hooefully I didn't mess up to badly. I hope that future lessons will help me adjust my procedure.

John Darby

• 31.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-22-2021 19:53
    done

Ron Carback

• 32.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 12-28-2021 10:41
    Hi Ron,

Hope you are having a great day. Click here to continue to Step 1: Lesson 1 if you have completed the introduction lesson to the PRISM Academy. 

You can find a list of the entire course by clicking here.

Thank you for participating in the PRISM Academy!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 33.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-19-2022 11:40
    Hi Ron,

Hope you are having a wonderful day. Please continue on to Step 1: Lesson 1 of the PRISM Academy.

You can find the entire course syllabus on the PRISM Academy Community Home Page. Click here.
    Take care.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 34.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-16-2022 14:13
    Hello, everyone.  

I am a late to the party but will quickly catch up.  I am a lifetime member of AAII and an active investor and stock and options trader. 

I just started the PRISM Academy and look forward to being part of the AAII Program, actively participate in the process, engage with the Community, and learn to better achieve my goals.

Kevin

KEVIN HAUPPA

• 35.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-18-2022 10:58
    I just turned 78 and am looking forward to improving and learning. Consider this a real value of mu AAII membership. H. Helm

H HELM

• 36.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-19-2022 11:04
    Hi there,

That's excellent to hear, we are happy to have you in the PRISM Academy! 

Start Step 1 - Lesson 1 by clicking here.

Follow the syllabus that is listed on the Community Home Page by clicking here.

Happy learning!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 37.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-19-2022 13:44
    Hey there, 

Whatever happened with being able to respond anonymously? I haven't heard a peep about that bro'.....Thanx,  Dilbert 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 38.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-19-2022 13:56
    Hi Harry,

Hope you are doing well and are having a good week. At this time, we are unfortunately not able to implement usernames/nicknames. We apologize for any inconvenience. If this changes, we will let everyone know at that time.

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 39.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-19-2022 11:39
    Hi Kevin,

Thank you for introducing yourself and joining us in the PRISM Academy! You are not late, members can start anytime, which is what makes the PRISM Academy great.

That's wonderful to hear you are looking forward to engaging in the Community and learning how to achieve your financial goals. 

Click here to start Step 1: Lesson 1 of the PRISM Academy.

Have a wonderful day Kevin!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 40.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-13-2022 07:19
    I am a retired information technology executive and got started investing in the old days when my broker had to enter trades. It was expensive and clumsy. During my working years, when I left an employer, I always rolled my 401(k) into my Fidelity Investments IRA or ROTH, depending on the nature of the 401(k). My wife did the same. I've also experimented with day-trading, but I am primarily a buy-and-hold, dividend growth, value investor. The last two years I have done quite a bit of options trading. Most of my trades are covered calls, but sometimes I will do a cash covered put or roll and existing covered call. That gives me an additional $2,500 in income every week, on average.
    Our dividends increase, on average, 10% per year. I avoid bonds and bond funds. Therefore, we are 95% stocks and equity ETFs most of the time. I hold as little cash as possible because our average monthly dividend is far more cash than we would normally spend in a month.
    I am also a blogger and write about various topics, including investing and theology. If interested, here is a link: https://proverbs27flocks.com/

WAYNE WINQUIST

• 41.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-14-2022 10:49
    Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like you have a lot of experience in various areas of the investment world - options, retirement investing, dividend stocks, etc. That's excellent. I believe you will find a lot of helpful information and resources by going through the PRISM Academy - especially since you blog about investing. I will definitely check your site out, that's awesome.

You've complete the introduction and Lesson 1 of Step 1: "P" - Prioritizing Your Goals. Continue onto Lesson 2 of "P".

We currently have four courses in the PRISM Academy! So feel free to go through each lesson at your leisure. "P" is focused on prioritizing your financial goals, "R" is about recognizing your risk tolerance and allocation, "I" delves into how to identify your investment management preferences and "S" guides members on how to select investments for your portfolio.

If you have any questions, please let us know anytime!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 42.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 05-25-2022 20:16
    Hello Jenna, I've missed a few of your emails.  For some reason, the notifications have been going into one of my other email addresses.  Can you verify which email address is active for Prism?  Also, I'd like to begin the course from the beginning again. Can I do this?

LUIS APARICIO

• 43.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 05-27-2022 13:57
      |   view attached
    Hi Luis,

Yes, of course! You can start PRISM at any time and as we are discussing in Step 5, it's meant to be cyclical so you can jump into PRISM when you need to adjust your goals, risk tolerance, preferences or allocation. The PRISM Academy Home Page has the full syllabus so you can go down the list of lessons at your own convenience and leisure. I have attached a screenshot of the syllabus I am referring to. If you have any questions at all, please let me know any time, Luis.

Take care and happy learning!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 44.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 05-31-2022 12:26
    Say, Jenna, I notice my profile on the Community page notes I have completed 45% of something, but I can't figure out what the something is.  Perhaps it relates to viewing the videos in the syllabus?

Hugh Poling
    amateur radio station KC7HP

• 45.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 11-04-2022 21:45
    Hi, I'm Dan Drabik. I've been investing for about 35+ years and done fairly well. I've used Kiplinger for many years and am now about 3 years from retirement. I'm anxious to get started with AAII to further grow and learn and prepare for retirement.

DAN DRABIK

• 46.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 11-05-2022 09:04

• 47.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-16-2023 09:09
    Hi,

My name is Lew.  I retired in October at the age of 64.  While my Fidelity Investments advisor tells me I have enough retirement funds I'm still concerned.  I'm hoping leveraging this process can help give me peace of mind and provide ideas to help me better manage my assets.

LEWIS KRAMER

• 48.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-18-2023 10:37
    Hi Kevin here

Been an active investor and AAII Member since 2009.  
    Just wanting to sharpen my tools.
    9 to 16 years until retirement.

KEVIN SCHARDT

• 49.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 01-18-2023 10:47
    Hello Kevin, I have 3 till I retire. There are good articles on here. I am working on making my investments have three parts; reits, bonds and equity stock that pay dividends.

• 50.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-27-2023 12:46

Jenna,

The PRISM process is the answer for anyone looking for guidance on how to plan their financial future.

I stumbled on an article today - 3/27/23 - in The Wall Street Journal on "Retiring on Less Than $1 Million: Stretching a Smaller Nest Egg," on page A11.

It provides significant perspectives many new investors don't have access to.

Here is a link for anyone who want to learn from their real life examples.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/retirement-under-1-million-america-846a6ab6?mod=itp_wsj&mod=djemITP_h

BARRY JOHNSON

• 51.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-27-2023 15:06

That article requires a subscription to your Wall Street journal.  Please provide me with the subscription free article. Thanx bro'.

Dilbert
    CA

• 52.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-28-2023 10:26

In the meantime, Harry S, I would recommend the J.P. Morgan presentation (PDF) recently highlighted in the weekly AAII email:

Guide to Retirement 2023

The longevity charts are more optimistic than what I recall in previous years and a good complement to PRISM goal-setting timelines. In particular, when I left my career work several years ago, opiod deaths had skewed the longevity tables to make the NPV payout of pension annunity unattractive. So far, the monthy pension is doing its job of paying the bills and keeping me from selling equities while waiting for market recovery. I'm not expecting it to be so valuable in the future with current inflation rates, but other monies will cover that.

Hugh POLING

• 53.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-29-2023 13:05

Sounds like you are in good shape for your retirement. Congratulations. Others are not as fortunate. Please refer to me as 'Dilbert'. I don't like using my name on social media. I tried getting AAII to use 'screen names ' on here, but they said that they couldn't manage that ... ?  Strange.

Dilbert
    CA

• 54.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-30-2023 12:56

Hugh.

Thank you so much for providing access to this guide.

IT IS THE MOST COMPLETE, READABLE, AND DATA-INTENSIVE GUIDE I have ever seen.

Most Retirement Guides are just light-weight marketing collaterals. The JPM guide has so much detailed data AND it is segmented, normalized, and projected. And it comes from reliable, reputable sources (not just swags by the local marketing department in the basement). It make me want to kick my broker where it will motivate her most  when she stands up next time because her company's comparable offerings don't come close to this product. The breadth of topics is very impressive, not just money. For example, it also covers (inn detail) how to get max benefits from the several dozen government programs (present and future) that impact entitlements and tax planning.

Some highlights for me are ....

p.3 Equation with 6 factors organized by degree of control

p.8 69% of people expect to work in retirement, 34% do (about 50%)

p. 9 69% have access to employer plans

p.13 SSI decisions tree – clearest I have ever seen

p.16-23 Savings checklist to see if you are on target ... or not  

p. 27-30 Changes in savings  over time

p. 31- Inflation impacts

I felt like it saved me $5,000 in legal and accounting fees. (That may be a low-side estimate.) That ought to be enough to get everyone to download this gem. If not, stay away from RR crossings -- they are as dangerous as "crossing" retirement. That's why they put all the warning signs near them.

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 55.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-31-2023 11:12

Can someone send the JPM Guide out again?

Thank you,

Jay

• 56.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 04-03-2023 11:43

Here are 3 ways to get to the download page.

1. Enter the phrase "2023 JPM Retirement Guide" into your browser. That should take your to a page you can download it.

2. Enter this URL

https://am.jpmorgan.com/us/en/asset-management/adv/insights/retirement-insights/guide-to-retirement/

3. Either of these methods should get you to the Guide to Retirement download page. Clicking on this TITLE should work too.

Good luck. It is worth your trouble.

A favor? When you use these methods, please confirm which ones worked, so others will know.

Sharing means you share, not just take. John taught us that "The love you take is equal to the love you make."

The same principle applies to learning and investments.
    In investing, it translates as "The return you take is equal to the risk you take."

Same karma.

Here waht the downlaod page looks like
     Guide to Retirement

Jpmorgan remove preview
    Guide to Retirement
    Discover our Guide to Retirement, updated annually to provide you with an effective framework for supporting retirement planning conversations with clients.
    View this on Jpmorgan >

Guide to Retirement 

Jpmorgan remove preview
    Guide to Retirement
    Discover our Guide to Retirement, updated annually to provide you with an effective framework for supporting retirement planning conversations with clients.
    View this on Jpmorgan >

This link is tet 4th way to get there. This is the Law of of Equifininality in action. 

BARRY JOHNSON

• 57.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 04-03-2023 18:38

Both ways worked for me.

For those who haven't accessed it yet see below.

Post New Message
    Learn more by visiting our Education Hub

Re: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Apr 3, 2023 11:43 AM

BARRY JOHNSON

Here are 3 ways to get to the download page.

1. Enter the phrase "2023 JPM Retirement Guide" into your browser. That should take your to a page you can download it.

2. Enter this URL

am.jpmorgan.com/us/en/asset-management/adv/insights/...

3. Either of these methods should get you to the Guide to Retirement download page. Clicking on this TITLE should work too.

Good luck. It is worth your trouble.

• 58.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-31-2023 11:25
    Mine is growing nicely thanks to vector vest. My goal is to have between $40 to $50 k when I retire in three years.

• 59.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-28-2023 15:04

See if this link works 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/retirement-under-1-million-america-846a6ab6?st=wlheob0u0nbazq1&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

BARRY JOHNSON

• 60.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 03-28-2023 12:58
    Edited by BARRY JOHNSON 07-17-2023 14:18

I posted the 3/25/23 WSJ article in hopes that it provides some concrete examples of the choices investors face and the outcomes that result from life's twists and turns.

Remember a plan is just a plan unless you work it. Even then all plans meet resistance from the twists and turns (or "chutes and ladders") of everyday life. Perseverance and anti-fragility are two valuable character traits to adopt, develop, and practice every day. 

The five WSJ stories bear this out. It's a fascinating article. A large number of readers' comments (2,000 and climbing) indicate that they are using what they read to benchmark their own retirement situations and expectations. I highly recommend you read the reader comments, too. They prove the depth of fallacies survivorship bias creates.   

I wish the article had used median retirement account data rather than average saving data of $414K (from 2019, the latest data available). That would be a more representative benchmark due to demographic distortions.

My main takeaways are that US people have a vast capacity for coping with setbacks. All 5 (in this small sample) have had to live more than one setback that came with aging and brought lifestyle and economic changes - health, catastrophic losses, and being alone.

Their situations remind me of the lessons from The Bridge at San Luis Rey, Thornton Wilder's Pulitzer-award-wining story of 5 strangers who plunged to their death crossing a bridge in colonial Peru in the 1600s. (Yuk!, but stay with me)

The plot revolves around a Church cleric trying to discover what sins they had committed that earned them their common fate. He finds nothing. I, too, thought I would find specific reasons in each of these 5 stories that portend their eventual fates. You may have similar emotions as you read the stories. 

There are themes that resonated with me -- saving early and often pays off; investments pay off but market downturns occur; lifestyles adapt to personalities and skills; there is more to life than money, but it sure helps.   

The theme from the 5 life stories in The Bridge at San Luis Rey that echoes 400 years later in WSJ that overshadow is that they and we are all searching to find love in our lives - from parents, siblings, family, spouses, and lovers. In the end, we all want love. The 5 parallel stories here echo that eternal theme.

John was right twice. Few people are. "Love is all you need" and "The love you take is equal to the love you make."

BARRY JOHNSON

• 61.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 05-18-2023 18:04

I'm Eloise M. My husband and I are 75. Our money is being managed by Fidelity since 2022 September--> I wanted to consolidate our various 401k's, etc. so I could more easily comprehend what was going on, get the benefit of their knowledge-experience, and learn from them.  What I desire to get from PRISM is the knowledge and self-confidence to manage (& grow) our money myself. Looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

Eloise Maki

• 62.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 05-19-2023 10:51

Entering the data from the investments Fidelity has made for you into the portfolio format that AAII provides will give you a lot of convenient insight into your investments. You can also  enter a trial portfolio with the same amount of money so you can see whether your choices can outperform Fidelity. A lot of effort, but worth it, I think.

RICHARD ELDRIDGE

• 63.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 05-19-2023 19:26

I agree with Richard. Grubbing with the numbers, like entering your current investements into an AAII portfolio, will advance your understanding why Fidelity might have made those choices from their perspective as an adviser and a basis for deciding whether they are right for you. The act of entering data makes you focus on details.

Hugh POLING

• 64.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 07-16-2023 09:28

I am John Lunkes,  live in the Tacoma, WA area and have been a AAII Life member since 1995. I became a serious investor in the mid-80's when I realized that I was going to take an active role in my retirement funding.  My particular investment interests are sector ETF's.I have been retired since 2006 but do work part-time at a local museum several hours a week. I have appreciated the information I have gained from AAII and am particularly appreciative of the new benefits offered through Premium and Community links.

JOHN LUNKES

• 65.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 11 days ago

I'm Neal 67 trying to decide when to retire.

Neal Dagenhart

• 66.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 10 days ago

iF YOU HAVEN'T STARTED YOU HAVE A LOT TO LEARN. By age 67 you have to have lived long enough to know how to save and even Joeseph in the Bible knew 7 good years meant 7 Bad years might follow. Plan for good times and save for Bad and share with kids and Grand Kids The eclipse was today and the next one in the USA will be in 2044. Do you want to see it?. I should be 100 then. Hope money and health last  that long. Not likely. Oibitbituaries  are becoming more interesting. Cemetary lots and obits are more interesting than they used to be. Good friends die and it's not easy to think ahead. Prism planning helps. Good luck in your travel ahead. Harold Helm

H HELM
    H.Helm
    Pleasant Hill, CA

• 67.  RE: Welcome to the PRISM Wealth-Building Process Academy

Posted 9 days ago
    Edited by BARRY JOHNSON 8 days ago

"I'm Neal 67 trying to decide when to retire."

Neal,

The decision you pose is a problem all investors face, but no one can help you without more information on the specific variables that will influence your decision. 

You provided only two data points - your age and a hint that you may have been employed.

I suggest your decision-making process by making a list. You can add to it and revise it as you get more data. Then you can sort through them and weigh the many, many tradeoffs.

Due to the size of the cohorts of other people in your position, retirement is a "growth" industry these days.

Thus, the BIGGEST PROBLEM every retiree faces is ... whose "advice" can you trust?

When I was in your position, I -- naively - waded through the pages on the SSA website and found the information more confusing than instructive.

And do not naively imagine that you -- someone who faithfully sent SSA thousands of dollars money every year for up to 50 years -- can just contact SSA and expect to get personalized service - or even a response in any format other than a canned PR message that redirects you to even more SSA pages. Expect to have to read pages of government speak designed to be "one size fits all" and much more focused on being "gender" neutral than helpful.

When I went through this process, I obtained a summary of the SSI deductions I had paid. This first thing Is that it had earned exactly ZERO interest over all those 50 years. The SSA (actually the US Treasury) may have invested all that money they collected from me and earned trillions in interest, but that was used to pay off prior retirees.

So, I calculated how much I could have earned had I had the option to invest it for myself. Please do not do this. If all of us old codgers did this and then decided to go to the SSA and ask politely why SSI  is broke despite having collected this ENORMOUS amount of money, it would make the January 6th event look like a love fest.

#1 SSA will - or probably has already - mailed you several statements that list your entitlements and the specific amounts you can expect to receive now or if you wait until you reach the age of fully vested retirement. You need to request an SSA statement if you don't have it. And have your spouse get hers, too. These amounts will be very important to decide "when to retire." decision.

#2 Because around 70% of AAII members have or are facing the same decision, AAII has many articles that will help you identify and itemize the factors relevant to your circumstances.

#3 Be aware that there are thousands of "financial advisors" and "certified financial planners" who will happily assist you with your decision. Their services are not free.

#4 "Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never forget' (as Winston Churchill said) that ... 

their graciousness is their business. They will expect to be PAID for their services. They will ask for control over ALL your savings and retirement income cash flows. They consider all this pile of money to be "assets under management" ("AUM") that form the basis for their fees. And they will pass along the costs of investing your money although you can make most of these decisions yourself. That is why they call themselves professionals and consider you are not as knowledgeable as their certificate says they are. I reassure you that 50% of them scored in the bottom half of their exam class.

Even the AAII Retirement Program charges (comparatively modest) fees as part of the Premium programs AAII offers.

Being an independent investor or being a dependent "client" is THE most important decision you face. It will reveal a lot about your character.

The decision you face is a BIG decision.

Try not to screw this one up. Do your OWN homework. DO NOT "copy" someone else's answer, be they professionals ... or not.

Before you, since 1935, several hundred million people have faced the same decision you do and each has found answers through careful due diligence ... or by accepting the default options as they accrue ... and have then learned to live with the many other decisions and related options each decision produced.

Kierkegaard described decision-making in life as being like climbing a tree. To a climber, each branch in the tree poses a decision as to which path to take. Eventually, after all those decisions, you wind up somewhere in the tree at the last decision point as a part of an individual leaf. All the decisions you have to make at every point in your life add up to where you wind up in the tree of life.

All of us screwed parts of the retirement decision points. The only way not to is to not make it to the age required to have a retirement decision.

This choice will greatly influence the course of your retirement and how you remember the retirement experience. As Dan Kahneman taught us, everyone has experiences that come and go. All that's left in the end are your memories of the experiences.

That is what you need to optimize with this decision.

Bette Davis is famous for saying. "Getting old ain't for sissies." She was right.

Welcome to AAII. AAII members represent the 2nd largest UNPAID volunteer service group in the world focused on sharing their experiences with investing and retirement decisions. (Bogleheads are larger.)

BARRY JOHNSON