PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Selecting and Managing Your Investments - Lesson 4

Posted 03-17-2022 17:51
      |   view attached

Buy and Sell Rules for Mutual Funds and ETFs

Reflect 

Now that you have a solid set of resources and tools to use to evaluate which funds to add to your portfolio, we compiled our "best practices" on investing in funds. These guidelines will serve as a basis thar you can use when creating rules about which mutual funds and ETFs you will consider buying, holding, or selling.  

And if you've already created your own buy and sell rules for funds, this is a great time to compare your list with ours to see if you're missing out on anything important. 

Important note: Make sure to complete the previous lesson before delving into this section! 

Participate 

Now that you have a complete list of tools and resources to use for the last lesson as well as comprehensive guidelines on how to create buy and sell rules, it's time to participate in this week's activity! For this lesson, we challenge our members to compare their own buy/sell guidelines and rules with the official AAII list. We want to hear what the differences are and how you will use these to select which funds go in your portfolio. 

For this activity, please review the attached checklist PDF and answer these two questions in the discussion below: 

1. In your own opinion, what is the most important rule to follow/create for knowing when to buy or sell funds? 
    2. Looking at your own list of buy/sell rules as well as the AAII "best practices," which ones were similar and which ones were different? 

Now, we want to hear about your findings! 

1. In my personal opinion, I think #8 regarding lower expense ratios may be on the top of my list as far as importance. 
      2. I didn't have a list of buy/sell rules for funds until now, so I will modeling my own list after the AAII one and continue adding onto it as I progress into investing in more funds. 
      Important note: The Buy and Sell Rules for Mutual Funds and ETFs PDF is attached below.

------------------------------
        Jenna Brashear
        AAII Community Manager
        Chicago, IL

Attachment(s)

1. 2.  RE: Selecting and Managing Your Investments - Lesson 4

Posted 02-28-2023 13:59
        1. In your own opinion, what is the most important rule to follow/create for knowing when to buy or sell funds? 

Rule #1 .  Does it fit in your Allocation Needs?  If the answer is no then I wouldn't consider buying it.

1. Looking at your own list of buy/sell rules as well as the AAII "best practices," which ones were similar and which ones were different? 

I didn't have any buy/sell rules prior to the lessons in Step 4.  So far I've incorporated all  of the  ETF Rules into my Buy/Sell rules.  Next I'll analyze and consider the buy sell rules for individual stocks and bonds.  

RICHARD