PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Step 2 - Lesson 9: The Importance of Allocation and Diversification

Posted 01-20-2022 15:11
    Edited by Jenna Brashear 01-21-2022 17:52

Reflect  

Now that you've recognized your individual risk tolerance, we discuss how you can use your results to determine an appropriate allocation model. In this lesson, we focus on how to minimize systematic and idiosyncratic risk with an effective allocation strategy and proper diversification.

Engage  

We ask that you watch the video, download and fill out the, "Recognizing Your Allocation" worksheet which is linked below, to learn how to use your risk tolerance to your advantage. Filling out the worksheet will help prepare you for the debut of Step 3: Identifying Your Investment Management Preferences.

In the discussion thread below, we encourage our members to share their results from their allocation worksheet and also their perspective on diversification as a whole.

1. How diversified are your portfolios? Think back to when you first started investing, has this changed over the years?
    2. What types of investments is your portfolio most allocated toward? Stocks, bonds, etc.? Please share.

Example:  

1. Right now, my portfolio is not as diversified as I would like. Since I am considered an aggressive investor, I should be more allocated towards stocks. I am a relatively new investor, so this has not changed.
      2. Right now I have a few ETFs focused on large-cap stocks in my portfolio; however, I would like to include more of a variety of small and mid-cap stocks as well as bonds. I currently don't have any emerging market or international stocks in my portfolio.

Link to the Recognizing Your Allocation Worksheet

------------------------------
      Jenna Brashear
      AAII Community Manager
      Chicago, IL

1. 2.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 9: The Importance of Allocation and Diversification

Posted 07-15-2022 14:37
      I think there is an error in the worksheet "Recognizing your Allocation".  For Moderate investor, it lists 60% Fixed and 40% Diversified under Allocations.  For Conservative Investor it lists 40% Fixed and 60% Diversified.   I know you've had this sheet live for over a year (I just joined in.). Hasn't anyone notice that yet/had it corrected?

MARY CLOR

2. 3.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 9: The Importance of Allocation and Diversification

Posted 07-19-2022 10:27
      Hi Mary,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are having our team review and make the necessary adjustments. Appreciate you reaching out. We will have a new version up within the next few days.

Happy you just joined, let us know if you have any questions or need any assistance as you progress through the five steps.

Take care and have a wonderful day, Mary!

Jenna Brashear
      AAII Community Manager
      Chicago, IL

3. 4.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 9: The Importance of Allocation and Diversification

Posted 07-20-2022 10:19
      Hi Mary and PRISM Academy Students,

The worksheet has been revised for Step 2: "R" - Recognizing Your Allocation. You can find the edited document here.

Thank you.

Jenna Brashear
      AAII Community Manager
      Chicago, IL