communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

• 1.  Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 10-28-2021 14:15
    Edited by Jenna Brashear 10-28-2021 14:15
      |   view attached
    There are two timing elements of goals. The first is determining how much time there is before the goal will be reached. The second is evaluating the duration - how long do you expect to spend on the goal. Both influence how much risk you can take on to grow your portfolio.

Reflect
    In Lesson 5, we are utilizing the "Time Value of Money worksheet" to determine which levers you pull have the biggest impact on being able to fund your goals. As you adjust each lever to fit your goals, it's important to consider what is having the largest, as well as the smallest, impact. Once you're content with your choices, save your worksheet so we can review it later in the planning process.

Engage
    In this activity, fill out the worksheet attached and answer the three questions below that reflect your findings about your goals' time, cost and duration.

1. In your worksheet, what lever change made the largest impact? Ex. the rate of return, the number of years before the goal is reached, your savings rate, etc.
    2. In contrast, which change made the smallest impact?
    3. What adjustments surprised you the most and what aspects did you already expect? Will you be making a permanent change to reflect your new findings or keep everything the same?

Take a second to consider the above three questions and write down your answers. Then, please share your findings in the comments below.

------------------------------
    Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-01-2021 16:47
    Happy Monday everyone!

If you have questions about using the worksheet, please comment on this thread or message me directly with your inquiries!

Who will complete this lesson first? What adjustments do you throw out or keep? What did you learn from this? Share your findings in the comments below.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 3.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-02-2021 20:20
    I downloaded the chart but I have questions. Are you going to explain the formulas used?
    this example shows 8% interest. Can you explain how we ca invest in this environment and consistently earn that must?
    reality is that you would need a fanatastic groeth stock to earn something like that!
    even your own pportflios don"t do that.

John Darby

• 4.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-03-2021 14:46
    Hi John,

The 8% return was given as an example. You can increase or decrease it as you like.

The long-term return on large-cap stocks is about 10%. Small-cap stocks have realized returns in excess of 12%. These are annualized returns and reflect both good and bad years for stocks.

We'll discuss risk and allocation in Step 2, which we intend to start rolling out later this month.

Charles Rotblut, CFA
    Vice President and AAII Journal Editor
    American Association of Individual Investors

• 5.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-13-2021 23:48
    This one is easy since I'm retired already with IRAs and need only supplement my pension and SS.
    1. Rate of return is the only variable, as I have no earned income to affect the IRA principals.

With a portfolio of 390K, I can supplement my retirement income by $3000 per month and adjust for an average 3% inflation per year if I have average 1% per month return on my investments.

Performance above 1% per month allows a luxury item, of which I am not accustomed so they are rather low on my priority list.

Michael Fairbanks

• 6.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-17-2021 10:59
    Thanks for sharing what levers you adjusted in the worksheet, Michael! Did anything surprise you as you accounted for your retirement income, inflation, and monthly return on investments?

Make sure to save your work so you can refer back to your worksheet during future lessons.

Thanks again! We are releasing Step 2: Lesson 1 on Thursday, so make sure to complete Step 1: Lessons 6 and 7 to prepare! :)

Have a wonderful week, Michael.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 7.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-27-2021 23:12
    AAII November 21 article 'Portfolio Monitoring for Progress of Goals and Life Stage Changes' on Step 5 mentions that the LRE worksheet (Figure 1) will be made available here. Where can I find this worksheet?

MIKE

• 8.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-30-2021 10:30
      |   view attached
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out and engaging in the PRISM Academy! All of the worksheets can be found in the "Library" tab under the PRISM Academy community. They are also attached to each lesson and are underneath the end of the video and lesson prompt. I have attached the worksheet to this message.

Please let me know if this helps, again we want to thank you for participating!

Have a wonderful day Mike.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 9.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 11-30-2021 10:44
    Hi Jenna,

I think you misread my question. There is no file in the library that has the 'LRE worksheet' that I am referring to. i.e. there should be 2 files for lesson 5 as per the AAII article I mention.

Thank You

MIKE

• 10.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 12-01-2021 09:26
    Hi Mike,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I spoke to Charles Rotblut, creator of the PRISM Academy, and he informed me that the LRE worksheet that he mentioned in the article is for a future step. I will have him reach out directly regarding the worksheet.

Thanks so much for participating in the PRISM Academy, we're happy to have you here!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 11.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals
    Best Answer

Posted 12-27-2021 23:06
    I am late to the table and I am disappointed no one actually answered the questions with their comments.

1. In your worksheet, what lever change made the largest impact? Ex. the rate of return, the number of years before the goal is reached, your savings rate, etc.
    Due to compounding, rate of return has the largest impact for typical durations. Short durations and low rates of return represent a "corner condition" where initial amount of money to invest drives the answer - that is, you already have "nearly enough" money to reach the tactical goal.

2. In contrast, which change made the smallest impact?
    As per the first question, time and rate of return provide the increase, so initial amount of principle has "smallest" impact, particularly if followed by appropriate additional payments over time.

3. What adjustments surprised you the most and what aspects did you already expect? Will you be making a permanent change to reflect your new findings or keep everything the same?
    Actually, just seeing the future value formula in the spreadsheet told me everything to be expected. The "permanent change" is simply using the formula to budget needed monthly contributions, assuming a reasonable (achievable) rate of return.  Or determining the goal is simply too expensive to realistically be achieved.
    The latter is closer to my consideration of a) what do I think inflation will be since we just experienced a huge bump (it's that Future Value formula working against us!) and b) the equity market has risen far above any reasonable curvefit of historic prices, how can it not retract? These questions lead to updating the spreadsheet for lower rate of return - in my case, I have fixed duration (retirement phase) so need to reduce cost of goal. I think most of you can just add a few years to make up the difference.

Hugh POLING
    amateur radio station KC7HP

• 12.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 12-28-2021 10:51
    Thank you so much for breaking down each question and answering them fully! 

It sounds like you found a significant amount of value adjusting the various levers on the worksheet and accounting for inflation. It also sounds like you have similar questions as we do (you're right, how can it not retract at some point!). I think you will find the next few lessons as well as Step 2 enlightening when it comes to thinking about reducing costs of goal, accounting for additional costs (especially during the retirement phase), overall timing risk and assessing your allocation. We've got a few excellent worksheets coming up in future lessons which I think will benefit you greatly!

You can click here to continue onto Step 1: Lesson 6 when you are ready.

Thanks again for participating, Hugh. We appreciate you so much.

Have a wonderful day.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 13.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 02-08-2023 14:50
    From what I see length of time has the biggest impact.  If your length of time is set you will have to adjust your savings rate to offset any return rate variations.  What surprised me is if you drop either your savings rate in half or the rate of return in half while keeping your length of time the same your future values are similar.  The length of time I compared was 30 years. Same if you double either your savings rate or your rate of return while keeping the length of time the same your future values are also similar.

RICHARD

• 14.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 02-09-2023 13:20

Jenna,

You are doing a great job sharing the wisdom of the PRISM program. I just wish it had merit badges.

As I read this thread, I see a lot of worthy goals. Many goals are shared among contributors.

Here are some observations that I have learned the hard way along the winding path that is life.

If you find any of these observations contraindicated, feel free to edit. You are the attending physician.

Some factors that could impact the number of opportunities, frequency, timing, and amounts of wealth accumulation are not considered. For example, her is a starter list:

Some of the Costs of a Basic Lifestyle

• major health costs (the largest risk and the largest probability),
    • the cost of raising children (currently estimated at $178K per child until age 18),
    • supporting family members who might have made bad choices or encountered hard times,
    • I did not see many plans that included religious tithing or donations to charities.
    • All the life insurance I ever bought has never paid off. That's a sunk cost you want to have.
    • Do not forget to allow for income taxes. Max today is 35% or so, but will continue to rise.
    • Do not forget to allow for property taxes. Rates vary by state. Some (sunny) states do not have these.
    • Do not forget to allow for capital gains taxes. Currently @ 15% LT (>1yr) and by income bracket if not.

These may seem to be "givens," but many, many studies (I have at least 50 research articles on my computer) show that health and family are the MOST IMPORTANT factors in achieving lifetime happiness.

The "entertainment"  and "good life trappings" that cost so much provides only passing memories.

( Right now, I can hear Streisand singing "The Way We Were." How about you, Jenna?)

Some of the Costs of Time

• future cash flows need to be discounted at the rate of interest (@ the average return on USTs 2%),
    • the costs of inflation will discount the value of future earning (which has a long- term average of 3%),
    • future expenses need to be increased (by projecting the discount factor) by the same 3% rate,

Some ways to "Fight Time" ( besides eating vegetables)

• Use can use "The Rule of 72's" to project how fast your wealth will accumulate. The "rule" is that your wealth will grow at a rate that can be estimated by dividing the number "72" by the rate of interest. You can choose the rate to model the outcomes for each rate to check your forecasts. Example. You use 9% (which is only 1% higher than research by Nobel laurate Jeremy Siegel that found 8% to be the long-term rate of return on equities over 200 years.)
    • Long-term investing pays off. Learn from the AAII process. Have a plan and stick to it.
    • For example, 72/ 9% - 9 which implies any amount invested inequities will double every 9 years. Don't go crazy with this statistic. Returns are not constant or guaranteed and will be depleted by withdrawals for all those nice to /fun to do "aspirational" things I see in most of the plans here.  
    • Keep a lid on your vices – smoking, binge drinking, gambling, risk-taking, etc. – early in life, then grow up.

If you are still under 30, I am sure you remember your Mom and Dad telling you all this.

Now is the time to grow up.  It ain't as much fun, but beats all alternatives.

Regards to all, Barry.

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 15.  RE: Lesson 5: The Timing of Goals

Posted 02-22-2023 13:59

The Wall Street Journal published a special supplement section today (2/22/23) from Barron's titled "Guide to Wealth" and subtitled "Living to 100, Your Financial Road Map."

I recommend you tear out the last 4 pages which are filled with ads for financial planners and repurpose them as a floor covering for your pet's needs. This improves its utility and will save you money.

The remaining 4 pages provide a very useful analysis of some often-omitted factors that younger people need to consider in their financial planning. Unfortunately, there is no internet link provided to this supplement, so I cannot give you one.

Here are a few of the more uncommon, but very important, planning consideration it covers. 

1. The impact of luck, good and bad, on life's twists, turns, and outcomes (randomness, just like the market assumption) is higher than appreciated. As the Eagles sang in The Sad Cafe (1979), "I don't know why fortune smiles on some and lets the rest go free." It is very tempting to spend more time planning on how to use all that future money on the "fun" and aspirational payoffs that will hopefully accrue from becoming wealthy - summer homes, travel, entertainment, hobbies, status, etc. I wish you luck. In "The Long Run,"(What? Another reference to an Eagles song (1980)? I am beginning to think I need to write off my Eagels collection as financial planning advice. Hummmm. I see more here than it appears. ), you will find that luck has a lot to do with success in life than it gets credit for.
    2. You will live longer than you think. More than likely to age 100. That's the good news. The bad news is the constantly rising cost of healthcare, especially as you live longer. An accompanying table estimates it will cost males about $520,000 (females about $606,000) to maintain a minimum level of "health. Common diseases like high cholesterol and Type 2 Diabetes could increase those baselines to over $1,000,000. You may want to start funding a Health Savings Account (HSA) now. Contributions are tax deductible up to an annual amount and they grow tax-free like an IRA. When you withdraw from it, you pay no takes. But let it grow, you will need all of it later in life deu to uncertainties of government and employer healthcare options.
    3. The 85-year longitudinal cohort Harvard Study of Adult Development, recognized as THE PREMIER AUTHORITATIVE source for reliable data and advice on happiness says the secret to happiness is not material things; an active social life and close personal connections are much more important. The MIT Age Lab agrees and says it is NOT just how good your investment portfolio is, but also how good your social portfolio is. Both take time and share many of the same skills to develop, and maintain.
    4. On page S4, they have short advice from 5 "financial advisors."  I counted 2 (40%) who made any sense and came close to agreeing with the research data article. I see that statistic as a good (maybe on the high side) estimate of the overall randomness of the distribution of good advice in the "professional financial advisor" population. 
    5. One says "Form healthy relationships with good people." (I really endorse that one. I tell everyone, "Who you run with is who you are.")
    6. The other says to live within your means. Also, very reasoned advice, especially if you want to stay healthy while you live to age 100.

Hope these data points help with your planning.

BARRY JOHNSON