PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 11-18-2021 12:26
    Edited by Jenna Brashear 12-07-2021 15:02
    The allocation you choose to use is one of the most important investing decisions you will make. But how do you determine what an appropriate allocation for you is? We'll walk you through the process for determining the right balance of aiming to grow and preserve wealth in order to achieve your goals.

Reflect 

During the first lesson of Step 2 of the PRISM Academy, we want you to reflect on how you have reacted to market volatility, especially downside volatility. Think about how you've previously reacted to market drops. Did you find yourself wanting to reduce your exposure to stocks or increase it? It's important to consider this as we progress into the next chapter of the PRISM Academy. 

Engage 

In the comments, we encourage our members to answer two questions: 

1. How have your reacted to past stock market corrections and bear markets? Did you find yourself being more fearful, steadfast or greedy than you thought you would?  
    2. Have you evaluated your tolerance for risk before? If so, how? (Ex: what questions did you consider to determine how much risk you could potentially take.) 

Example:  

1. In the past, I've taken risk tolerance questionnaires provided by my brokerage firm. I've found that I have a rather conservative risk tolerance because I am mainly take a "buy-and-hold" approach with a focus on saving for long-term goals such as retirement and elderly care for my parents. 
      2. I took a look at my goals, current assets, the duration of my objectives and need for income, along with thinking about my comfort level of weathering the ebs and flows of the market. 

Remember to complete any outstanding lessons in Step 1 to be awarded a badge (these will be important as we progress to future Steps of the PRISM Academy). Additionally, please watch the Lesson 1 video and participate in the activity.

------------------------------
          Jenna Brashear
          AAII Community Manager
          Chicago, IL

1. 2.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 11-30-2021 10:42
          Edited by Jenna Brashear 11-30-2021 10:42
          Hi everyone,

Happy Tuesday! We wanted to remind our PRISM Academy students that Step 2: Lesson 1 has been posted and Step 2: Lesson 2 will debut this Thursday, November 2, 2021. Please prepare for upcoming courses by engaging in previous lessons.

Thank you to everyone who is participating within the Community!

Jenna Brashear
          AAII Community Manager
          Chicago, IL

2. 3.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 12-02-2021 15:29
          I have listened to all lessons in Step 1 and Step 2 lesson 1. Where are Step 2 lessons 2+?
          Thanks, 
          Eddie Bernard

EDDIE BERNARD

3. 4.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 12-02-2021 16:04
          Hi Eddie,

Hope you are having a wonderful day! Thanks for participating in the lessons in Step 1. This post that you commented on is Step 2: Lesson 1 and the video as well as the prompt is posted above.

Step 2: Lesson 2 has just been posted today. Please click here to find the new lesson. 

Every Thursday we will be posting a new lesson for Step 2. You can find the full syllabus on the Community home page under "Announcements".

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Jenna Brashear
          AAII Community Manager
          Chicago, IL

4. 5.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 12-06-2021 17:55
          My risk tolerance is changing because I am newly retired. 
          In the past, I have let money stay invested in stocks despite the sudden drops and has been buy and hold because of my longer time horizon.
          I am interested in learning about asset diversification beyond stocks and bonds.  

Michele Cohen

5. 6.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 12-07-2021 15:07
          Thanks for sharing Michele! When we delve into allocation, we will touch on how to diversify as well as more information regarding specific allocation strategies that might help you decide on other options beyond stocks and bonds.

I want to ask you about your risk tolerance! How have your reacted to past stock market corrections and bear markets? Did you find yourself being more fearful, steadfast, confident, etc. than you thought you would, especially with recent volatility?  

Thanks again for participating and we're excited to see you in future lessons! Remember, new lessons come out every Thursday. Click here to complete Step 2: Lesson 2. 

Jenna Brashear
          AAII Community Manager
          Chicago, IL

6. 7.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 02-14-2022 08:31
          1. How have your reacted to past stock market corrections and bear markets? I have a long-term perspective, so I don't react to market corrections or bear markets based on the herd mentality or the short-term views of the masses. I stayed invested and liked being able to use dividends to increase my positions at lower costs. I also liked being able to move assets from my traditional rollover IRA to my ROTH IRA in tax-advantaged ways. This results in reduced taxes and increased ownership value over time. The Covid decline was a huge opportunity.
          2. Have you evaluated your tolerance for risk before? If so, how? The standard questions asked generally miss the point about risk versus volatility. They are really geared to short-term thinking about market volatility. I have evaluated my tolerance for risk by the way I invest. In other words, before I buy an investment, I try to understand the nature of the investment (value, growth, dividend growth, market cap, competition issues, etc.) and the way I get paid while going through the up and down markets. I also look at the dividends that roll in just about every day, regardless of the current market behaviors as a reminder that I am going to receive income from just about every one of our investments. In other words, I view the investments as income streams, not as assets to be bought and sold.

Down Markets are buying or reinvesting opportunities. They are also ROTH conversion blessings.

WAYNE WINQUIST

7. 8.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 02-13-2023 06:46

1. How have your reacted to past stock market corrections and bear markets? Did you find yourself being more fearful, steadfast or greedy than you thought you would? 

Until the recession of 2007-2009 I made no adjustments to my allocations.  I basically just kept a 75%/25% stock to cash/bonds for years in my retirement funds.  I did react fearfully twice during 2007-2009.  I finally panicked after losing a large portion of my stock portfolio and moved my allocation to 50%/50%.  A few months later I panicked again because I had so little money invested in stocks. So I moved my position back to 75%/25%.  I am glad I did that but I still don't like the fact that I didn't make the decisions based on anything other than fear.  

All in all, I think I've moved my money around too much lately.  I think this is due to the fact I now have a lot more time on my hands, but more importantly I don't have a good asset allocation plan now that I'm retired.  And that's why I am here.

2. Have you evaluated your tolerance for risk before?  Yes.  I've done the normal stuff.  I determined my risk tolerance based on time to retirement and steadfastness during market swings.  I have pretty much been high moderate to aggressive up until this point.  I also suspect I will be  aggressive for a Retiree although not as aggressive as I have been up until now.

If I am being honest I seem to stick to my plan for a good while, not letting the daily news move me in any direction, until one day I act on impulse. That's where I need and want to improve.  

RICHARD

8. 9.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 1: Recognizing Your Risk Tolerance and Allocation

Posted 02-13-2023 11:21

Sounds like you have been following Ben Graham. His book The intelligent investor is a must read though its a lot to read. I myself am a value income investor and have Reits and dividend paying stocks along with different bond funds. I also have bought some EE bonds.

Toby Bloom