View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

TIM WHEELER

TIM WHEELER10-16-2021 08:49

• 1.  Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-05-2021 11:49
    Edited by Jenna Brashear 10-06-2021 14:48
    What are your key objectives and needs for wealth? If you are in your 20s or 30s, it may be saving for a house or starting a retirement account. Middle-age investors may be thinking about growing retirement savings further or paying for a child's college education. Those approaching retirement are often thinking about transitioning to living off of their savings. Once in retirement, estate planning can take on a bigger importance. Whatever your goals are, we want you to write them down using the goal.

Reflect
    We discuss how you can choose specific investment goals depending on your life stage. Depending on your age, you may have different short and long-term goals. Your goals as a young adult will be different than those when you reach the age of retirement. It's important to reflect and adjust your goals as you transition into different stages of life.

Use this worksheet to define and prioritize your investment goals.

Engage
    Please share what life stage you are currently at and how your investment goals align with this phase. What concerns do you have and how has the PRISM process helped you reflect on this adjustment? Let us know in the comments by clicking "Reply" on the right side of this discussion post.

------------------------------
    Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 2.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-13-2021 10:40
    In early retirement, with a small pension.  Less than 400k in savings
    goals: Travel internationally, incuding a motorcycle trip through southern Africa, outlive my savings, 2 seperate houses, one in the northern  and one in the southern climates, a legacy gift to a mens organization I am a member of

CYNTHIA SCHRETLEN

• 3.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-19-2021 15:19
    Cynthia,

These are excellent goals! A motorcycle trip through Southern Africa sounds like a trip of a lifetime! Thank you for sharing.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 4.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?
    Best Answer

Posted 10-15-2021 19:46
    I am in retirement and my focus is mostly long term investing with ETFs, Index funds and mutual funds. These investments choices have performed great and I plan to increase my holding with a dollar cost averaging approach.  I do plan to do some very selective stock investing at some point in the future. A key goal is to share what I learn in this course and through my search of my investment choices with my family of five  at least on an annual basis.

William Wise

• 5.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-19-2021 15:23
    William,

We love hearing that you want to share the knowledge you learn from this course with your loved ones. It sounds like you have a diversified portfolio and we are happy to hear your investments have performed well. Thank you for sharing!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 6.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-16-2021 08:49
    Edited by TIM WHEELER 10-16-2021 22:19

• 7.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-16-2021 21:48
    Recently began retirement.  In good share financially, physically, and mentally except can't figure out what might change in my retirement.  I almost I had a desire to travel or maybe have a second home but that's not me.  I traveled so much for my work.....don't want to do it anymore.  i guess I want to make sure that my wife and I could "self insure" long term health care should we require care for some "end of life" big bills to keep either of us comfortable or cared for.

KEVIN BALOG

• 8.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-19-2021 15:21
    Kevin,

Wanting to finally settle down and enjoy your time in one place is a great goal. End-of-life bills and long-term care are often both investment goals we don't want to plan or think about, but it's incredibly important that we do. Thank you for sharing!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 9.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-21-2021 20:26
    Edited by KEVIN BALOG 10-21-2021 20:27

Thanks Jenna,

I know it doesn't sound exciting at all. I'm a pretty contented boy.  My wife and I are scratching our heads to figure out what may still be on our "bucket list".  Luckily we are in good physical and mental health to explore opportunities without restrictions. 

W sublet a condo on LaSalle Street (Old Town neighborhood) until last year.  My friend who owned the condo asked if I wanted to buy it.  When I said no he sold it at a nice profit last December.  I still miss Chicago because I have lots of friends their and my daughter is very happy living in a  North 
    side neighborhood.  I may be stogie but I don't feel any need to have a second home.  Hotels are fine with us.

Kevin

KEVIN BALOG

• 10.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-19-2021 12:24
    I am currently phasing into retirement. One primary goal is to insure that investments last for the remainder of my life. It would be exceptional to leave a financial legacy to my heirs.

EARL WASHINGTON

• 11.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-19-2021 15:22
    Earl,

It's fantastic you're thinking about your heirs and what legacy you will be able to leave them. Thank you for sharing!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 12.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-19-2021 21:14
    I very recently retired and shifted from the accumulation phase to the distribution phase, keeping in mind that growth still needs to be part of the equation.  My retirement forecast calculates that our investments have to last us at least 30 years (in both pessimistic and optimistic rate of return) and with a 95% probability of achieving this goal.  I have implemented the Bucket Strategy and I will continue to fund retirement with this approach.  This means also managing a budget and planning for unplanned expenses...to deal with heath care issues when they occur, long term care need, etc.  On a different note, creating a budget should allocate funds to achieve "fun" retirement goals.  With PRISM, I look forward to continue to test my investment assumptions and continue to refine the plan.  As time goes by, this will continue to evolve.

PAUL PRINA

• 13.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-20-2021 14:35
    Retired earlier this year (wife already retired), goal to manage multi-leg retirement streams of income.  We are also fortunate to have pensions, IRA's, and SS (will be reduced though) which we will likely delay until age 70. We plan to continue annual gift giving to our daughter to help fund both her Roth457 and Roth IRA accounts. Tax efficiency has become a higher priority goal for us as we undertake our retired life, we have already departed CA for NV (one goal achieved).  Now that we are out of CA, perhaps Roth conversions if we can make this make financial sense (especially for survivor or inheritance planning). We also seek to understand how best to manage unrealized capital gains, especially given the fractured political environment and the proposed tax changes being considered. Goal to remain engaged and educated on financial matters while also realizing the need for financial assistance to manage our assets as we age.

THOMAS HUBERT

• 14.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-27-2021 09:33

For me, goal setting is more about allaying my fears than considering aspirations. I fear being a burden on my daughter. That means I don't want to run out of money, particularly if I would need care near the end of my life to stay safely at home. That also means I am having a hard time listing other goals that would meet other needs for physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well being, even though they have a place in me in some closet.

So my goals are: not running out of money and having enough extra to pay for care later in life if medical problems emerge which make it difficult for me or my husband to live in our house.

The goals in the closet include: taking better care of my body (might mean doing more therapy than Medicare pays for going for retreats); traveling (perhaps Tibet, Greece, Peru); learning and growing (having time to read and study or take courses); being able to contribute financially to social justice initiatives in my neighborhood; replacing our car with one more reliably able to take the 7 hour drive to grandchildren; buy or repair furniture I want or need to replace which isn't priced in ranges I am comfortable with.

LINDA SICONOLFI-BAEZ

• 15.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 12-07-2021 16:28
    I would like to generate annual income from writing Covered Calls.  My goal is a 6%-8% return from the Covered Call premiums while focusing on "Blue Chip" companies to protect the downside risk.

Ben Marcovitch

• 16.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 01-01-2022 13:46
    I left career work a couple years ago​ as part of COVID shakeout leading to reduced company staffing. I was enjoying work enough to keep putting off retirement decision so consider it a blessing in disguise to have the decision to come to me. I think I have enough savings+pension to live comfortably, based on various calculators of allowed withdrawals over a span of time and other Are you ready for retirement? articles,  but have not worked out a specific long-term budget. And I have been keeping busy with wrapping up short-term projects financed by layoff benefits that, I have not yet shifted to the retirement mindset that feels good about actually spending savings.  35 years ahead as an upper bound for longevity seems like a long time for that money to last, with lots of opportunity for surprises!

My long-range goal is to finalise retirement savings withdrawal plan to span 35 years and other retirement budgeting. 

My "bucket list" goals are to actually do recreation that never seemed to happen when I had to go to the office daily. These include several hobby-vehicle projects/cultural events, and recreational travel in the US. Most of this can be covered by tactical savings / pension, leaving retirement savings in the market longer, except when needed for large single-event purchases. 

The main credit I would like to give PRISM, or more properly, AAII articles on Risk leading up to PRISM, is the clarification that Risk is the probability of an investment path failing to meet the dollar result at the time required. The common mislabelling of volatility / variance less than the mean as "risk" is a distraction. In that sense, the textbook recipes provided by (in my case, robo-advisor service provided by my former employer as part of their 401K program tools) are not helpful, as they seem to prioritise minimising bad-year losses. I lack confidence in their advise as it is presented as, "trust our conclusions and don't mind the guy behind the curtain". At least with PRISM, we are the guys behind the curtain and we understand the background of the advice we give ourselves.

Hugh POLING
    amateur radio station KC7HP

• 17.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 01-19-2022 11:48
    Hi Hugh,

Thanks for participating! I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement regarding defining risk in a more clear and concise way. That's why being an individual investor and doing your own research is so important. It sounds like you have one main goal and quite a few smaller goals such as travel, hobbies, etc. Would love to hear more about those! I would recommend you choose you absolute top three and then use the Risk Assessment worksheet to determine your individual risk using the three parts: timing, psychological and financial risk. You mention you have savings and pension, so you can factor those two pieces into the assessment as well - not having to rely on just your portfolio is an important aspect of risk I wasn't aware of until Charles explained to me.

Again, thanks so much for sharing Hugh, always look forward to reading your posts.

I noticed you left off on Step 2 - Lesson 5: Timing of Goals. Click here to access Step 2 - Lesson 6: Psychological Aspects of Risk.

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 18.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 01-25-2022 14:38
    "Retirement" as a goal is certainly popular in this community and as a single concept, it works fine for pre-retirement planning/saving/investing. Now that I am starting retirement, like you suggest, I need to establish goals for the giant pool of savings (cash and portfolio wealth) to address:
    a) on-going sums of money to cover day-to-day expenses,
    b) short/defined-term goals of specific things to accomplish that take selected sums of money at selected times,
    c) long-term goal to retain wealth for back-end medical / long-term care expenses
    In the end, I find myself at the aggressive end of the scale overall, but b) items require pulling moneys out, which I guess counts as conservative? My real implementation is to keep the portfolio in the market and assess financial risk for selecting timing for b) items.  This is similar to the substitution effect for dealing with (high) inflation.

I am familiar with the AAII Allocation Models presented in Lesson 9 but continue to hesitate to choose one since I don't appreciate the expertise behind the sectors and percentages. I'd like a bibliography to look up primary studies. I recall there is an AAII article "on the shelf" addressing historic portfolio returns for various allocations of Fixed Income / Diversified Stock but I don't recall how that gets translated into Suggested Allocation Breakdowns. Perhaps someone could help with that?

Hugh POLING
    amateur radio station KC7HP

• 19.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 02-24-2022 22:22

Goals for my investments:

1. Provide backup living expenses if I outlive the next 13-year payout from the sale of my business
    2. Provide for emergencies
    3. Pass on funds to heirs.

Other Goals:

1. Move
    2. Travel to Canada
    3. Travel to Europe
    4. Stateside travel to relatives
    5. Stateside destinations such as Carlsbad Caverns

Michael Daly

• 20.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 05-17-2022 12:00
    My #1 goal is a contribution to my church for their building program. I would like to make a large donation ($50K?), but cannot currently afford that. This need is expected in 1-3 years, but I am concerned that realistic investments are unlikely to yield such an amount in that timeframe.

My #2 is travel within the next year, expected to cost up to $5K.  I could probably handle that from savings, if needed.

#3 is help for the grandkids expenses in the 5 to 10 year timeframe.  Since the amount is uncertain, this seems doable.​​​

Robert M

• 21.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 08-07-2022 16:15
    Having a solid retirement is my main goal. So having a investing in stocks and etfs that make money, along with some selling of options.

Toby Bloom

• 22.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 10-20-2022 16:45
    Early retirement due to health. Able to live on SSDI, Navy Retirement. Two 401K accounts doing poorly. Goals - 1) pay off mortgage, 2) purchase fun car for investment, 3) cruise around Italy. Dale Gallup, Ohio

Dale Gallup

• 23.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 11-05-2022 12:40
    We are about 3 - 4 yrs from retirement. We've been working with a financial planner over the last year and have already filled our income gap between retirement funds and social security. We've have covered any long term care needs we may have with an insurance policy with an LTC rider. The goals now are:
    1. Enough "mad" money to travel when and where we want to.
    2. Start building our retirement home in the next few years. We already have our property.
    3. What ever is left, goes to the kids.

DAN DRABIK

• 24.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 11-05-2022 12:59
    I am within 3-4 years of retirement. I know I won t have a million but my goal is $50,000. I will move to the Philippines where  the cost of living is two thirds less. I contribute now over 10% of my pay to my IRA.

• 25.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 11-21-2022 10:26
    One of my goals was to build a portfolio that would give me sufficient income so that the dividend income would be sufficient to cover my RMDs when I reach age 72. Next year I will reach that milestone. Thankfully, I also changed my goal statement to make me focus on the investment behaviors that would get me to the goal. In reality, I far exceeded my original goal statement, so I had to adjust that goal up by 2x.
    I enjoy helping other investors achieve their retirement goals as well, and I started blogging about my investing journey in 2017. I just completed a blog post about growing your income. Given inflationary pressures and the rising cost of living, this post might be of interest to the readers of this thread. NOTE: I am not trying to sell anything and I don't charge for any services I provide. I just like teaching about various things that are important to me.
    https://proverbs27flocks.com/2022/11/21/secrets-of-income-growth-success-part-1/

WAYNE WINQUIST

• 26.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 02-08-2023 09:36
    I am in retirement, my wife retires next year. My investment goals are prioritized and the estimated costs are below.  The expense figure is the total figure with taxes.  All figures are in today's dollars and represent an estimated 35 year time frame.  I just started using WealthTrace as my financial planning software which once set up provided this information quite easily for me.  

I have not decided on my Asset Allocation yet. I am still invested quite aggressively.  Deciding on how to allocate my expenses in my retirement is my top priority right now and hopefully I'll have a better handle on it as I go through the PRISM exercise. 

<google-sheets-html-origin>
    Goal Number of Years Away Spending Duration Priority Estimated Cost Comments
    Generate Income to cover Expenses In Retirement 0 33 1 $2,153,122 Until age 95 In today's dollars.
    Includes taxes.
    Grow retirement funds in retirement 0 33 2 $746,835 Until age 95 In today's dollars.
    Add $5k per year for vacation budget 2 10 3 $5,000 Included in Expenses In Retirement goal.
    This is per year amount
    Independent Living Community 20 15 4 ? Approximately 20 years away. Need to identify cost.
    Help pay for grandkids private school if parents go that route 5 13 5 $5,000 Included in Expenses In Retirement goal.
    This is per year amount.
    Total $2,899,957 Income Goal + Growth Goal + Independent Living Goal
    </google-sheets-html-origin>

RICHARD

• 27.  RE: Lesson 3: What Are Your Goals?

Posted 02-08-2023 09:43
    I tried to copy/paste the chart from Google Sheets but apparently it didn't show up.  This time I'll try to upload a .png file.  Here goes nothing.

RICHARD