PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Identifying Your Investment Management Preferences: Lesson 1

Posted 01-27-2022 13:16
    Edited by Jenna Brashear 02-03-2022 15:39
      |   view attached

Lesson 1: Introduction to Identifying Your Investment Management Preferences

Reflect 

In Step 3, we will help you determine how involved you want to be in the management of your portfolio as well as how these crucial decisions play a major role in narrowing down what types of investments you'll want to diversify with. 

Engage 

As you fill out the attached worksheet, "Identifying Your Investment Management Preferences" think about the two questions Charles points out in the video lesson: how involved do you want to be in managing your portfolio and what personal constraints or restrictions you have that may impact who manages your investments. We will walk you through and focus in on these two questions in the next few lessons. 

Participate 

Complete the worksheet, read about the different types of investment management options and answer these two questions in the discussion below: 

1. What type of investor have you been in the past? 
    2. Has this changed over the years, and if so, why? 

Discussion Example 

1. In the past, I have been a partially hands-on investor since I work a full-time job and do not have the time to research and watch individual securities – funds have helped me invest to plan for my long-term goals within my time constraints.  
      2. No, this has not changed for me personally. I have always been a partially hands-on investor. I am not sure I want to invest in individual securities; however, this may change over time. 
      Click here to access the Identifying Your Investment Management Preferences worksheet.

------------------------------
        Jenna Brashear
        AAII Community Manager
        Chicago, IL

1. 2.  RE: Identifying Your Investment Management Preferences: Lesson 1

Posted 02-20-2023 06:54
        Edited by RICHARD DOWER 02-20-2023 06:54
        • What type of investor have you been in the past? 

I have mostly been an Index investor up until this point.  Most of our portfolio is in 401(k) type plans with the rest in targeted ETFs.  I had little time to learn about picking individual securities nor the time to research them.

• Has this changed over the years, and if so, why?

Some. In the beginning it was strictly my 401(k).  We added IRA's using targeted ETFs as our income grew.

RICHARD

2. 3.  RE: Identifying Your Investment Management Preferences: Lesson 1

Posted 02-20-2023 11:36
        There is a lot to be said for indexing as I have read Bogle,s book. But It s good to have some other stocks or funds and use screening tools like Vector Vest.