PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Selecting and Managing Your Investments - Lesson 2

Posted 03-10-2022 14:04

Narrowing Down the Fund Universe

Reflect

With over 30,000 mutual funds and ETFs it can feel overwhelming to know where to start. 

In this lesson, you will learn how using the PRISM Wealth-Building Process makes it easier to narrow down the number of potential fund candidates to a manageable list. 

You will use what you learned from sections "R" and "I" - allocation and preferences – to create this master list. 

As we continue to highlight, the PRISM Wealth-Building Process is a cyclical process that illustrates the building blocks of this online course. Each section of the course is dependent on the other, meaning one step must be complete before moving onto the next, and a change at the top or bottom can lead to a comprehensive review. Therefore, you can use the PRISM process time and time again to help you stay focused on funding your financial goals.   

So, let's get started! 

Participate 

Before we get into the specific selection guidelines and buy/sell rules, you'll need to answer a few questions about how to create a potential candidate list, these include: 

• What asset class and asset class category are you trying to find a fund for? 
    • What are your preferences for actively managed funds or index-funds? 
    • What constraints do you face in selecting specific funds (e.g. limits on choices because of a 401(k) or 529 plan)? 
    • Do you have preference for ETFs (can be bought and sold like stocks on an intraday basis; mostly index-based) or mutual funds (easier to buy in fractional share amounts; more choices among active managers; bought and sold at end of the day only)? 

Once you are clear about the answers to these questions, it will be easier to find a fund that fits your individual investor needs. 

Now, review the "S" worksheet, AAII Allocation Models and Asset Class Heat Map as well as answer the questions above in the discussion below. 

Discussion Example 

• In the last lesson, I identified that I should find a few international, emerging market and intermediate bonds to add to my portfolio so I may look at certain bond funds or global funds to add to my portfolio. 
    • What are your preferences for actively managed funds or index-funds? 
      • I have chosen passively managed index funds because they tend to align well with people who are investing for the long-term and have goals far out into the future, like I do. However, this is just my personal preference that is specific to my own current goals. 
    • What constraints do you face in selecting specific funds (e.g., limits on choices because of a 401(k) or 529 plan)? 
      • I do not have any current account constraints that would impact my choice to learn towards certain types of funds. 
    • Do you have a preference for ETFs (can be bought and sold like stocks on an intraday basis; mostly index-based) or mutual funds (easier to buy in fractional share amounts; more choices among active managers; bought and sold at end of the day only)? 
      • Because I shared that I wanted to find passively managed funds, I may add ETFs to my list rather than mutual funds. 

Resources

Download the "Selecting and Managing Your Investments" worksheet 

View the Asset Class Heat Map 

View the AAII Allocation Models

Questions about coursework, webinars, worksheets, etc.? Drop your inquiries in the discussion below. We're happy to help! 

------------------------------
    Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 2.  RE: Selecting and Managing Your Investments - Lesson 2

Posted 03-13-2022 12:54
    Hi - Step 4, Lesson 2 video will not open, I have tried for 2 days. Suggestions? Thanks.
                    Taxhitman@aol.com

MARK SEGAL

• 3.  RE: Selecting and Managing Your Investments - Lesson 2

Posted 03-14-2022 10:42
    Hi Mark,

The above graphic is just an image; however, the introductory video for the course is in Lesson 1. You can click here to access that.

For Lesson 2, we are using the worksheet, asset class heat map and allocation models as resources (they are attached above). Lesson 3 and Lesson 4 will have checklist worksheets to use to complete those lessons. Each lesson has varied material depending on the content.

Hope this helps clear things up!

Have a wonderful day, Mark and thanks for participating!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 4.  RE: Selecting and Managing Your Investments - Lesson 2

Posted 03-14-2022 13:30
    Hi - Thanks.
             Mark

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Selecting and Managing Your Investments - Lesson 2

Posted 02-22-2023 14:14

Asset Class  - Asset Category

Large Cap -  ETF vs 401(k)

Mid-Cap Stocks  - ETF

Small-Cap Stocks - Stock Securities

International Stocks - ETF vs 401(k)

Intermediate Bonds - ETF vs 401(k)

Real Estate - (Cowboy Account) - Crowdsource Syndication

What are your preferences for actively managed funds or index-funds?

ETFs that try to match the index

•  What constraints do you face in selecting specific funds (e.g. limits on choices because of a 401(k) or 529 plan)? 

Constraints on the pool of investments in my 401(k).  Those could be eliminated now since I am over the hill and over 591/2 and can just rollover the funds to another IRA.

• Do you have preference for ETFs (can be bought and sold like stocks on an intraday basis; mostly index-based) or mutual funds (easier to buy in fractional share amounts; more choices among active managers; bought and sold at end of the day only)?

ETFs

RICHARD