PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-16-2021 16:01
      |   view attached
    Our risk questionnaire helps you determine how much risk you can take to achieve your goals. In this lesson, we're going to help you determine if your goal calls for more a short-term, intermediate-term or long-term approach to portfolio allocation.

Reflect  

We want our members to reflect on three different aspects of how to accurately evaluate timing in relation to your goals and risk tolerance. These three elements focus on: how far away your goal is, your spending duration as well as withdrawals in relation to your wealth. These key questions will help you determine your individual investor timing risk whether it be short-term, intermediate or long-term. 

Engage  

We ask that you watch the video, fill out the left side of your risk assessment questionnaire and then respond with your results. 
    Note: Please fill out a separate Risk Assessment worksheet for each of your goals.

In the comments, we encourage our members to share their results from their own Risk Assessment Questionnaires as well as consider these two questions: 

1. When you filled out the three key elements to determine your timing risk, what was your result for each goal? 
    2. What do you think your timing risk result tells you about your investment goals? 

Example:  

1. I filled out the worksheet for my top three goals which are: retirement, pay for my parent's long-term care and expenses, as well as pay off my mortgage to live debt free.
      1. Retirement: my score was 15 which indicates long-term timing risk. 
      2. Parent's long-term care/expenses: 12 which indicates long-term timing risk. 
      3. Pay off mortgage: 13 which indicates long-term timing risk. 
      2. That the majority of my prioritized goals fall under the long-term timing risk. This means that because my goals are significantly set in the future, that I should take more risk now so I can accurately fund these future investments. 

For the next lesson, we will be going through the right-side of the Risk Assessment Questionnaire which discusses financial and psychological risk.

------------------------------
      Jenna Brashear
      AAII Community Manager
      Chicago, IL

Attachment(s)

1. 2.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-20-2021 13:28
      Edited by ANNIE PRADA 12-21-2021 12:24
      My main goal is to save for retirement, and since I'm in my forties, it indicates a long-term timing risk. However, I do have another intermediate goal of paying off the mortgage early. Since my retirement goal is a "must" and my early mortgage payoff is a "would like to," I am still prioritizing my long-term goal and using whatever surplus is left to help fulfill the intermediate goal. At the very least, I switched the mortgage from a 30 to 15 year (fixed) loan, so at least if I do the "minimum" there during a few months, I can still rest assured that I'll be paying it off a little earlier just by default, as well as saving $$ from all that interest!

ANNIE PRADA

2. 3.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-21-2021 11:16
      We had our mortgage paid off when we retired , using a 15 year loan. Our retirement income required was reduced because there was no mortgage to pay.

I think paying off your mortgage before, or early in retirement, can be considered part of your retirement savings.

Sam Jones

3. 4.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-23-2021 17:02
      Charles, Jenna: 
      Are you going to review any of the details of the risk assessment document? For instance the item that says we are knowledgeable in buy and selling securities? Are we going to discuss setting aside funds for goals and then we need more than that, or some urgent item comes up to cause us to reconsider our plan? Or are these items things to consider and account for in budgeting for the goals?

4. 5.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-28-2021 10:56
      Hi John,

Yes, we will be going over the Risk Assessment Worksheet in more detail and answering more specific questions at a live webinar event that we are currently planning to host sometime in mid-January. We will send out more information about this event later this week, so stay tuned!

You're absolutely correct that unexpected costs will be something we should account for when budgeting for goals. We can go over that in the live webinar event as well.

Hopefully we will see you at that event so we can answer any pressing questions you have and delve into the Risk Assessment Questionnaire a little more. Great questions, John, thank you!

Jenna Brashear
      AAII Community Manager
      Chicago, IL

5. 6.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-28-2021 11:00
      Thank you for participating Annie! It makes sense to re-prioritize your goals to account for your primary and secondary goals making sure you are planning for the one that is most important. I have a similar long-term timing risk of retirement and paying for my parent's long-term care when that occurs - so I may take more risk now so I can build my wealth to fund those objectives. I think that's excellent that you switched from the 30 to 15 - it always a good idea to save some interest! Thanks for sharing.

Jenna Brashear
      AAII Community Manager
      Chicago, IL

6. 7.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-22-2021 13:25
      My goal is to buy an electric SUV in five years. I'm figuring the recharging infrastructure should be pretty well in place by then for our 6-hour trips to see family in Ohio. While electric car prices should keep coming down, inflation may go up, so I'm not expecting drastic changes in prices for these vehicles when I'm ready to buy in 2026. For this goal, I got a risk timing score of 8, which is "intermediate." I think that means I can manage a moderate amount of risk to fund this goal.

JEAN HENRICH

7. 8.  RE: Step 2 - Lesson 4: Timing Aspects of Risk

Posted 12-28-2021 11:03
      Hi Jean,

Yes, you are correct that with an intermediate-term timing risk you can take a moderate amount of risk with your investments to fund your goal in the next five years. I agree with you that in five years the infrastructure will be in place, especially in the Midwest, as we seem to be a little bit behind the East and West coast electric boom. With all of the new electric vehicle plants popping up in Central Illinois, I can see the industry expanding even further. Mhmm, I might even start looking into investments/funds that focus on building materials for electric vehicles in the near future.

Thanks for filling out the worksheet and sharing your results, Jean!

Jenna Brashear
      AAII Community Manager
      Chicago, IL