PRISM: Prioritizing Your Goals

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

• 1.  Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 10-21-2021 19:05
    There are five key components of goals: what the goal is, when it will be reached, its duration, its cost and its priority relative to other goals. Watch and learn why each of these components is important to creating your own wealth-building plan. 

Reflect
    Now that you've watched Lesson 4, we'd like you to take some time to consider five key components of the goal-setting process.

1. Defining your goals: In the last lesson, we defined our short- and long-term goals which will help us determine what types of investments we will need to achieve those objectives. 
    2. Estimating when it will be reached: If your goal is to buy a boat to travel the globe, you need to ask yourself: "when did I start saving for this?", "where am I currently?", and "when do I want to achieve this goal?". Estimating a timeline for your goal will help you understand the amount of time you have to invest and save.
    3. Analyzing how long you expect the goal to last: Thinking about the duration of your goal is important to accurately plan how long your objective will last you. For example, if your goal is to retire at 65, you will have to plan for your savings to last you from when you turn 65 and onward. If your parents live until they were in their 90s, that's a good estimate for your goal duration - 20+ years. 
    4. Evaluating how much it will cost: Take a look at your current spending, incorporate inflation, and plan for additional leeway. Even though this may be a rough estimate, approximating the cost of your goals will help you plan how much you will eventually need.
    5. Adjusting its priority in relation to other goals: These priority goals will need to be addressed first. If you had to favor one goal over another, what would it be?

Breaking up goals into key components helps investors analyze their current plan to see if they are hitting each point. Did you plan for your goals' duration? Have you prioritized the right goals? Are you considering the estimated cost to achieve your goals? These are crucial factors that will help shape your asset allocation and overall portfolio.

Engage
    After you reflect, pick your top priority goal and break it down using the five key components listed above (if you don't want to share all just write "skip" by the number). Additionally, rate how you feel about achieving your goals on a scale from 1-5 (1 being mostly uncertain and 5 being very certain). Let us know in the comments by clicking "Reply" on the right side of this discussion post.

Example:
    1. My long-term goal is traveling to Europe (a 2-week trip) annually.
    2. I will start my 2-week annual trips to Europe when I am 35 years old until I'm around 65 years old.
    3. The duration of my goal is around 30 years that I will need to plan for.
    4. My estimate is $1000 per week + $600 round trip flight = $2600 each trip x 30 years = $78,000 is the estimate for my total goal cost.
    5. Traveling is my top priority goal, followed by retirement as my second.

My Rating: 4 (pretty certain my investments will allow me around $78,000 for travel)

------------------------------
    Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 2.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 10-22-2021 10:47
    I think we need to think about three important items as part of goal setting.
    1. Asset Allocation - As part of the amount of risk which underlies all of these items. Knowing first that Mr. Market will go up and down at any time. So the most important thought is "What can I afford to lose?" Balancing investment risk with allocating your asset choices. 
    2. Establish an amount that you want to invest. Do your homework, analyze each asset to determine if it fits within you ris tolerance. End you buy you are gambling your asset choice will increase! Why are you buying this asset? Who do you listen to for recommendations?
    3. Establish a threshold for a down turn! What if your choice goes down? 
    How much loss is too much? 
    Do you buy more? Or do you sell to avoid huge losses?

• 3.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 10-23-2021 12:45
    My first goal is impractical and it may never get past my imagination.  I am a retired spinster.  I would like to turn $200,000 into $500,000.  I have no pension.  If I earn 30% on $200,000 for five years and don't spend any of it, I will reach my goal. Then I will pay taxes.   If I go back to work at 70 and invest my salary, I might reach my goal.  Neither of these is likely, but I am dreaming big. My second goal is a round-the-world cruise in five years.  That is possible, as a ticket for a windowless cabin was about $25000 the last time I checked.  I would have to use capital or save $5000 each year.

Mary Jo Diangelo

• 4.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 10-29-2021 15:30
    Thanks for breaking your goal down into the key components! 

It sounds like by breaking down your two priority objectives - you were able to see how much you would need to save or invest in order to fund the duration of those goals.

I really liked your goal about funding a cruise around the world. That is something I aspire to do as well. Sounds incredibly exciting!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 5.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 02-10-2022 11:28
    Hi Mary Jo,
    We had an 'event' that led to totally rebuilding a bathroom. Down to the studs (and some of those replaced!), we had a blank slate for the rebuild. I first thought up all sorts of great features in a bold design - very impractical but was a good foundation for simplifying to something that kept a few key items to make the space beautiful and practical to implement and live with. I agree that a plan that depends on consistent huge returns and a bare-to-the-bone lifestyle is not very likely to work, but could be a good start for scaling to a do-able investment plan for the long-haul and include an off-ramp for an interesting, if not superlative, cruise.  Maybe explore variations in timing and investment/work mix?

Hugh POLING
    amateur radio station KC7HP

• 6.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 10-24-2021 22:59
    My goal is to be prepared to travel when I feel it will be safe a enjoyable to travel.  I think this will be in about two years. I plan to spend as much as $20,000.00 a year. I believe my wife and will be able to travel for at least 13 years. The would total $260,000.  We plan to save $2,000 monthly each for this event. This goal is priority over other goals.

William Wise

• 7.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 10-29-2021 15:27
    William,

This is a great goal for you and your wife. You did a wonderful job breaking it down in order to analyze how much a goal to travel for 13 years with a budget of $20,000 per year would cost.

Nice job!

Jenna Brashear
    AAII Community Manager
    Chicago, IL

• 8.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 10-31-2021 12:32
    A decade ago, my only goal was to to have sufficient retirement money to avoid working into my 70's.  For where I was in life and due to circumstances, I was far behind on retirement funds feeling very uneasy about the future.  I did not need to write goals or do analysis - the plan at that time became simple - put everything I could into my 401k and avoid new debt.

After analysis of my funds today and going through the goals exercise, I now have 5 goals instead of a basic survival goal.  It's always good to put something in writing like this goals exercise because it forces consideration and reinforces thoughts.  My number goal is still retirement from full time employment to have more time for life.  However, I have pulled in my timeline to near the govt's FRA and my degree of confidence in achieving this goal is higher and more clearly defined than my original goal of retirement at 70-ish.

Karl Markey

• 9.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 02-10-2022 10:41
    1. Defining your goals: Our primary goal is to give as much as we can to both charities and family. Our intention is to increase the percentage we give every year. The secondary goal is to avoid selling assets to meet the RMD payout when I reach age 72 next year.
    2. Estimating when it will be reached: We are in the execution phase of this goal, so it is easy to evaluate simply by comparing YTD giving and the percentage of giving against income received YTD. Of course, the RMD goal is pending, but it appears that my dividend income from the traditional IRA will easily support the RMD requirements based on the current account balance. I can also easily determine the cash required for an RMD with the estimated annual income from dividends using the broker's monthly statements of our accounts.
    3. Analyzing how long you expect the goal to last: It is difficult to really know how long I have to execute on the goals. However, it seems reasonable to assume that there are at least another 10-30 years if we include my wife's likely life expectancy. She is about six years younger than me.
    4. Evaluating how much it will cost: The cost is a function of income and the account balances. We have more than enough assets to fund emergency expenses, travel, and anything else we might want to purchase, including new vehicles. My Social Security covers living expenses.
    5. Adjusting its priority in relation toother goals: If one (or both) of us has to go into long term memory care at some point in the future, then giving might have to decrease in order to fund the additional costs of care.

WAYNE WINQUIST

• 10.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 05-17-2022 12:19
    1. My #1 goal is to make a substantial contribution to my church's building program.​
    2. There is no firm timeline, but the church is now planning the building. I am guessing maybe 1 to 3 years?
    3. My preference would be for a one-time gift, but there could be other options.
    4. I have in mind $50 to 100K.  As a retiree, I likely could not do this from existing funds, but want to invest to accomplish this goal.
    5. I am expectant, but not sure I can do this, so perhaps a 3 rating.

Robert M

• 11.  RE: Lesson 4: The Key Components of Goals

Posted 02-08-2023 12:37
    Edited by RICHARD DOWER 02-08-2023 12:38
    1. Defining your top priority goal: Ensure our retirement expenses are covered by our retirement funds until 95 years old.  

2. Estimating when it will be reached:
      Now.  I am retired now and my wife retires next year.  We started saving for this 30+ years ago.  

3. Analyzing how long you expect the goal to last:
    The timeline for this goal is today through the next 35 years.

4. Evaluating how much it will cost:    The cost is estimated to be just over two million dollars - with one caveat.  Missing from this estimate is the cost of moving into an independent living facility that moves you to assisted living, then into a nursing home if when/needed.   If you have ever tried to determine this cost it's next to impossible without actually sitting down with the facility and discussing it with them.  We have picked the retirement facility as if we were to move  into it today.  I need to sit with the retirement community people to  get a better estimate of total retirement expenses.  We'll use my pension, our social security, and investments to cover this cost.  We both have a long term care policy to help offset the retirement facility expenses.  None of these figures includes inflation.  I let my financial planning software handle that.

5. Adjusting its priority in relation to other goals: This goal is my top priority.  Don't outlive our money is numero uno.

RICHARD