AAII Pittsburgh Chapter Meeting
Wednesday, 22 March 2023
Zoom online webinar
Registration: via Zoom invitation
Main Presentation: 7:00
Preparing for Life after Mutual Funds
Bryan Armour, Director of Passive Strategies Research, Morningstar Research Services
In 2022, ETF inflows approached $600 billion, while open-end mutual funds saw outflows of $950 billion. ETFs continue to increase market share and expand offerings for investors. And they can be more than just passive vehicles — over the past three years, major fund managers, such as Dimensional Fund Advisors, Capital Group (parent of American Funds), and T.Rowe Price, have opened active ETFs.
Note that the AAII journal, as it does each March, highlights ETFs and so provides background for our conversation with Bryan Armour. Join us for a discussion of why investors are choosing ETFs, important considerations in trading ETFs, and current Morningstar recommendations for positioning your portfolio.
Attend this meeting and learn:
· How an ETF wrapper gives more flexibility and transparency than a traditional fund
· Why ETFs improve tax efficiency: Investors in dozens of mutual funds recently faced a double whammy of big losses and big tax bills
· How to use ETFs as indicators of market health
About Bryan Armour
Bryan Armour is Director of Passive Strategies Research for North America at Morningstar Research Services LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc.
Before joining Morningstar in 2021, Armour spent seven years working for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, conducting regulatory trade surveillance and investigations, specializing in exchange-traded funds. Previously, he worked for a proprietary trading firm as an options trader at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
Armour holds a bachelor's degree in economics (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) and the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation.
· To protect our members during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, this program will be offered via Zoom webinar.
· This AAII Pittsburgh Chapter webinar begins Wednesday, 22 March 2023 at 7:00 pm. Eastern Time. We encourage login ten minutes prior to the meeting, to verify your configuration and, possibly, download the Zoom client.
· To register, visit: Register on Zoom
· You will then receive confirming email with instructions and a link to join the webinar.
· This free webinar will be streamed live to your computer or mobile device.
Special Interest Subgroups
Live SIG meetings remain postponed at this time.
· Investment Strategies SIG
Jim Emberg firstname.lastname@example.org
· Personal Financial Planning SIG (held at Sewickley Library)
Karen Fadzen email@example.com
President, Roy Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President, [available opportunity to contribute]
Secretary, Earl Novendstern email@example.com
Treasurer, Phyllis Sabol firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Coordinator, Lawrence Ingram email@example.com
Announcements Coordinator, [available opportunity to contribute]